Gareth is a fast-paced creative, who not only heads up an amazing design team, but also has been compared to the cool, calm Jose Mourinho by the man himself, Alastair Whiteley.
Meet Gareth Ball, Design Director at our Hull office.
1. Are you originally from your current city?
I was born In Brixham Devon, and then moved to the sea and sand of Penzance, Cornwall. At aged 6, my family travelled up North to Hull where I have lived ever since. I would definitely say I’m a full on Hullian now.
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
When I left school at 16, I got a job cucumber picking in local green houses. It was very random, very hot, included very early starts and was definitely not the coolest job in the world. Safe to say I only lasted 2 weeks.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I enjoy watching Sports, particularly football and boxing (a good excuse for a pint or ten with the lads); hitting the gym and trying to keep fit; I love food and travel and have been lucky enough to visit some amazing places. I’m also currently working part-time as a wedding planner trying to organise my wedding in Crete this year.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
Food! I’m a massive foodie (as in I eat a lot of anything).
5. What is your hidden talent?
Burning a salad—I’m a rubbish cook, though I can cook a mean steak, but that’s about it.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Food shopping on a weekend—no parking spaces & massive queues.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I won a Cutest Baby competition aged 2 (don’t know what happened to me as I grew up!).
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
- Watch a Live World Championship boxing match in Las Vegas
- Travel around Australia/Asia
- Attend Octoberfest in Germany
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
“Sleep when you’re dead.” (I totally live by this at the weekends), or “Work hard, play hard.”
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“I’ll be back!” (Terminator 2 is my all time favourite movie)
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
Going from a creative idea to seeing it come to life on the shop shelves and working with the lovely people at HA, where we have fun, but work hard.