Coming off of his recent high of leading the Hornall Anderson Swingers softball team to another championship season, Jay makes use of his coaching skills off the field as well as on.
Meet Jay Hilburn: Design Director (and 12th floor Nerf Sniper) at our Seattle office.
1. Are you from Seattle? If not, where are you from?
I’m not, I was a Navy kid so we moved every two or three years but If I had to pinpoint one location to describe where I’m from, I’d have to say Tampa, FL.
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I worked at a car wash, which is where I developed my distain for having a dirty car. If it’s sunny and my car is dirty, I get the shakes.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I love being a Dad, snowboarding, fishing, softball, cross-fit, washing my car, and spending time with my family.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
Exercise! If I don’t get sweaty in the morning, it’s not going to be a good day.
5. What is your hidden talent?
I can hypnotize snakes. Not really.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
When a person takes the last slice of pizza in the café but leaves the closed box on the bar tricking you into thinking you are about to receive a delicious slice of free pizza, only to have your hopes dashed upon opening the empty box and discovering only grease stains and despair.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I’m a high maintenance coffee orderer – double tall, two pump, mocha with whip. And sprinkles if you got ‘em.
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list (things you really want to do or places you want to travel to someday).
Scuba dive Chuck Lagoon. Buy a cabin on the water. Catch a marlin.
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
K.I.S.S. Keep it simple, stupid.
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“Negative ghost-rider, the pattern is full.” – Top Gun
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
Sharing my love for design with the people within these walls.