Ask anyone about Jen, and they’d describe her as listener, connector of dots, cat herder, supplier of chocolate/donuts/cookies/pastries & beef jerky, problem solver, and Switzerland. Meet Jen Jacobson, Human Resources Director at our Seattle office.
1. Are you from Seattle? If not, where are you from?
I’ve lived in Seattle longer than I’ve lived anywhere else, but I’m not a native. I’m a Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I’ll be Sooner dead. (But I don’t miss the summer heat or tornadoes of Oklahoma.)
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
In college, I was an assistant at the photographic archives of the Western History Collection at the University of Oklahoma. I got to work with thousands of interesting photos of ordinary people and scenes from all walks of life—ranch hands, Native Americans, oil field workers, wild west show performers, early pioneers and settlers. The most-requested photos, though, were images of dead outlaws. Not photos of now-dead outlaws when they were alive, but photos of them shortly after they had been killed.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
OU sports, hiking, traveling to places I’ve never been, baking, reading, eating good and/or interesting food and beverages, working out (so I can eat the stuff I like), and hanging out with my extraordinary husband, The Dude.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
Being able to pick more than one thing I couldn’t live without.
And cheese—any cheese, all cheese. And my Cookie Monster slipper collection.
5. What is your hidden talent?
Don’t know that it’s a talent exactly, but I’m one of those rare individuals who actually can lick my own elbow. This is especially useful when my elbow has somehow managed to become covered in chocolate.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Mispronunciation of the word pecan as “PEE-can.” It’s “puh-CON,” folks. A PEE-can is what you keep in the car for long road trips.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I’ve hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu and have also summited Mount Kilimanjaro.
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
- Go to the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta
- Visit Cuba before it gets too developed
- Explore as much of Spain as I possibly can
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
“Panta rei, ouden menei” (All things flow, nothing abides)
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
Skip: You guys! Ya lollygag the ball around the infield. Ya lollygag your way down to first. Ya lollygag in and out of the dugout.
Do you know what that makes you? Larry?
- Bull Durham
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
It’s the spreadsheets. I lovelovelove working with Excel spreadsheets.
Is it too much of a cliché for an HR person to say, "It’s the smart, talented, creative, AMAZING people I have the privilege to be around all the time"? Yes? Too bad, because that is my truth and beauty!