You know our work. You know our reputation as a leading global brand firm. But how well do you really know our phenomenal team? Introducing the first of a weekly Employee Spotlight providing a peek behind the curtain into what makes our team so special.
Meet Julie Hoppner, Design Director at our Seattle office.
1. Are you from Seattle? If not, where are you from?
I’m slowly making my way through the US. I’ve lived in nine states so far: New York, Kentucky, New Jersey, Massachusetts (both Boston and Martha’s Vineyard), Connecticut, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Michigan, and now Washington.
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
Studio assistant to a quilt maker. We worked out of an old Remington Arms factory in Bridgeport, CT.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I volunteer with a local greyhound rescue group. Greyhounds are fantastic dogs: they have the reputation of being reserved and stoic but really they’re secret goofballs.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
5. What is your hidden talent?
Once upon a time I hand modeled.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Duck face. And the letter S.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I’m a firm believer in not overthinking things, and being willing to leap into the void. I moved to Seattle never having visited the West Coast, not knowing a soul in town, with no job or housing lined up. Just loaded my dogs and cat in the car and drove across country from Detroit.
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
Learn to drive stick shift, learn conversational ASL (right now I could maybe hold an awkward conversation with a three-year old), and see a Wandering Albatross in the wild.
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
“This too shall pass.”
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“It is better to destroy than create what is unnecessary.” (Fellini’s 8½)