As part of our Experience Design group, Katie doodles ideas that become real things and places where people interact. Meet Katie Polenick, Designer at our Seattle office.
1. Are you originally from Seattle? If not, where are you from?
I am from Warren, Ohio.
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I worked at a sign shop in rural Ohio. While there, I had a guy come in to get a graphic wrap for his truck — as a tip he gave me a container of unfinished “diamonds” that he claimed his father found in Africa during WWII. I don’t have a lot of confidence they were actual diamonds or from Africa.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I like to spend time out and about, whether it’s a day in the city or a weekend drive away. I also like to exercise and plan future weekend trips — Denver and San Diego coming up real soon!
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
5. What is your hidden talent?
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
A personal pet peeve but also point of amusement is tourists taking photos with iPads.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I really like water towers and think they’re awesome under designed opportunities.
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
• Visit friends in places near and far — going to Japan in April!
• Have a cat
• Design/implement a public art project
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
“Fake it til you make it.”
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
No favorite lines; I am an awful moviegoer — I prefer low quality TV.
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
Every day I create new things and dive into problems with unsolved futures. In a way, I can help define what exactly it is I do every day, and that’s pretty exciting.