As MD (managing director...or self-professed minor dictator, depending on the day) of our UK offices, Kim spends most of her time with our Leeds team, but makes frequent appearances at our London office. With a grace-under-pressure demeanor that is evident in every interaction with her team and clients, Kim is a valued link between our London, Leeds and Hull offices, successfully managing them as one cohesive team.
Meet Kim Van Elkan, Managing Director of our UK offices.
1. Are you originally from Leeds? If not, where are you from?
Originally born in London, I moved up North with my mum when I was just a year old, so definitely consider myself a fully-fledged Northerner.
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I used to be a waitress in a cocktail bar; that much is true!
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
When I’m not doing my day job, I have a passion for everything floral. You can find me in the shed at the bottom of my garden creating pretty English garden wedding flowers, afternoon tea parties or sophisticated floral masterpieces. This, along with the day job, involves lots of hard work on shoe string budgets, but it feeds my soul. The attached pic shows our UK team's very own Jade looking beautiful on her wedding day.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
Music to enhance my every mood—everything from Deftones to Debussy to Donny Hathaway.
5. What is your hidden talent?
Baking—every day is better with cake. ;)
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Rudeness; there’s no excuse for bad manners.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
My 21 year old son owns his own coffee roastery and has turned me into a total coffee snob.
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
See the Northern Lights in Iceland / Live in a place where I can wake up to see, smell and hear the sea / Watch the Bolshoi Ballet perform Swan Lake in Moscow
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
“Make love not war.”
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“To infinity and beyond!” – Toy Story
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
The amazing people I am lucky enough to giggle with every day.