Matt’s role at HA is that of a problem solver — finding smart solutions to bridge client needs with great design, while using the appropriate technologies to manifest those solutions in the real world. Meet Matt “Ace” Frickelton, Technology Director at our Seattle office.
1. Are you from Seattle? If not, where are you from?
Gig Harbor is my hometown, although technically I was born in Portland, OR and moved to Gig Harbor at the age of 8.
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I worked at the largest psychiatric hospital west of the Mississippi, Western State Hospital, as a Mental Health Technician (which is a fancy title for orderly). The ward in which I worked was an all-male assaultive and sexual offenders unit. And yes, I have a lot of stories.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I channeled my many hours of air guitar as a child into producing/writing/recording/performing music (available here). When I am looking for a break from music, I also fly fish, play racquetball and glitter paint.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
People — I enjoy the company of others and find people extremely interesting and complex.
5. What is your hidden talent?
I can smell snakes.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
That is a tie between people driving slow in the fast lane and not respecting the zipper method when merging.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I spent some time in school learning and performing brain surgeries. I worked in a primate lab where I focused on a specialized type of brain surgery called corpus callosotomy (aka split-brain surgery), which is used to help individuals that suffer from grand mal seizures.
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list (things you really want to do or places you want to travel to someday).
- Play a show at the Gorge
- Perform my upcoming metal album live
- Own a cabin away from the city
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
“The inner produces the outer.”
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain, it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed—fully understood—that sticks, right in there somewhere.” – Inception
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
From riding in an experimental stunt plane to watching the sunrise from the top of the Empire State Building, you really never know what to expect from a day in the life at HA. And when you add the great people I get to work with on a daily basis, I am grateful to be part of the HA world.