Michael is what could be described as a “creative translator.” In other words, once a design is approved, he interprets ways to make it work in a multitude of different formats (horizontal, vertical, square, circular, triangular, etc.) and in different applications (like bottles, cans, bags, boxes, cartons, clothing, signage, etc.).
Meet Michael Brugman, Senior Production Designer at our Seattle office.
1. Are you from Seattle?
No, but close. I grew up in the suburbs of Portland.
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I worked as a breakfast cook where I learned a very specific technique for cooking omelets, which I still use today.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I am obsessed with automotive design—I have a large collection of 1:18 scale diecast model cars. I also enjoy cooking, camping, inline skating, skiing, kayaking, ocean cruises, and sitting on a beach doing absolutely nothing!
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
The cup holder in my beach chair.
5. What is your hidden talent?
I am a race car driver (without a race car).
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People who gripe about their pet peeves.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I take more than 20 vitamins and supplements a day.
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
• To drive an exotic supercar on a racetrack.
• To see the earth from the absolute stillness of space.
• To volunteer at an NGO that protects and rehabilitates traumatized children who have been rescued from the violent trade of Human Trafficking.
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” – Jimi Hendrix
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“Heeeeeere’s Johnny!” – The Shining
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
The people: Creative. Smart. Dedicated. Kind. And a good sense of humor. Did I mention smart?