Keeping one’s clients and design team happy and aligned isn’t always easy, but Nicola manages it with a fine balance of patience, consideration…and occasional divine guidance.
Meet Nicola Thomson, Senior Account Manager at our Leeds, UK office.
1. Are you originally from Leeds?
I am originally from Derby (if you’ve ever been there, you’ll know why I moved away).
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I used to work in a supermarket when I was at college and met my first husband whilst I was checking through his shopping.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I am dog obsessed and have a fabulous cockerpoo called Peppa, so we do lots of walking and exploring and taking pictures. I also spend weekends helping to create floral masterpieces with fellow HA’er Kim Van Elkan. In between all of this, when I get a minute, I am usually found seeking out a new taste sensation as I love eating so much it’s ridiculous.
I’ve also catered for my friend who runs a yoga retreat in Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands. It’s a tough gig creating vegetarian masterpieces for 12 in an amazing luxury villa, but someone’s gotta do it.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
Contact lenses — I’m as blind as a bat.
5. What is your hidden talent?
Still searching for it. I know it’s in here somewhere.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People taking themselves too seriously.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I embrace the wonky bonky—sweat lodges, divine guidance, and the mystical fascinate me.
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list:
I would really love to design my own house with amazing storage preferably in Hawaii, where I would take an award-winning photograph that would be published all over the world.
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
Life is short.
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“I see dead people.” — Sixth Sense
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
I’m lucky to work with some really great and talented people and we have a lot of fun.