Sharon (also known as “Shazza,” “Bazza,” or “Stealth”) can be counted on to make sure her team’s designs are prepared for print by carefully reviewing for inconsistencies and ensuring everything meets the guideline requirements. She describes her role as involving a lot of staring at the screen as if possessed, pressing “apple C” and “apple F” with a tad bit of cursing whenever the printer acts up—seemingly always during an urgent deadline. Meet Sharon Long, Artworker in our Hull office (specifically the gangsta side of the studio, where the music is heavy and the threat of seagulls flying in through the open window is very high).
1. Are you originally from your current city (Seattle/New York/London/Leeds/Hull)? If not, where are you from?
Yes, originally from Hull and can sometimes be heard using the following Hull slang:
Av a skeg………. Take a look!
Mafted………. Really hot!
Nowt in it………. It’s empty!
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I once worked as a Senior Medical Technician in the Cosmetic Haircare industry, making hair replacements systems (we weren’t allowed to call them “wigs”) and hair extensions for people suffering from cancer and other varying illnesses. We were also known as the “Hairy Fairies” and really did work miracles!!! The transformations were unbelievable, although the intricate work eventually took its toll on my hands and fingers.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I enjoy being outdoors walking in the country, climbing big hills, doing DIY, painting, decorating, being creative and making the most random things out of anything available (including rubbish). I once created the Mona Lisa out of my noodles, as I didn’t like the look of them and thought they could be better used elsewhere.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
5. What is your hidden talent?
Once I find it…will let you know!!!
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
I have a few:
- People who have poor umbrella etiquette and feel it’s ok to leave people with just one eye, as they have another.
- People who think cutters are not important.
- When iChat interferes with my conversations and incorrectly changes my spellings.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
I studied Cosmology before returning to Graphic Design to complete my degree, and have met 3 Apollo astronauts: Charlie Duke (Apollo 16 – Lunar Module Pilot – 10th and youngest person to walk on the Moon), Alan Bean (Apollo 12 – 4th person to walk on the Moon), and Fred Haise (Apollo 13 – Lunar Module Pilot). Really inspirational!
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
- Climb Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.
- Fly in a fighter jet, possibly an F22 – Raptor or Eurofighter Typhoon.
- Fit back into my skinny jeans!
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
“Whenever you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.” (Henry Ford) – The Secret
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“You can’t handle the truth” – A Few Good Men (1992)
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
I’m challenged every day, so rarely get bored. There is an awesome team of talented people above me to work with who are hard working, supportive, creative, helpful, and have a great sense of humour to keep the banter flowing. They are also often completely nuts! I really enjoy seeing the ideas come to fruition. I also enjoy making a coffee in the sophisticated machine, although it took me a year and a half to pluck up the courage to use it…and now you can’t keep me away from it, unless it needs cleaning. Coffee anyone???