Shawn is one popular guy! Especially when his colleagues are having computer issues. As Shawn explains, “When the computers go down, I pick them up, brush them off, and send them on their way.” Meet Shawn Stambaugh, IT Technician at our Seattle office.
1. Are you originally from Seattle?
I’m originally from Anchorage, AK. Having lived there all my life, I was ready for a change. (Really ready.) My husband and I arrived in Seattle in July 2015 without jobs or a place to live, and haven’t looked back.
2. Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I previously spent nine years doing IT work for a children’s behavioral health facility. It’s very eye-opening to learn about what children go through and how much those experiences affect them, even before they’re born. It teaches you to take a moment and think before reacting to other people, because you don’t always know what causes others to be the way they are or react the way they do.
3. What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I enjoy traveling and seeing new places, especially if they have warm weather. I eat, sleep, and breathe technology. I also enjoy preventing my couch from escaping my apartment.
4. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
5. What is your hidden talent?
I can make a mean chocolate chip cookie … the only kind that should exist.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Cold. Weather, water, whatever. It’s one of the reasons I left Alaska.
7. What is something most people would be surprised to know about you?
Based on reactions around the office, most people seem surprised that I don’t drink. I’ve never even tried it. I guess that means more beer from the kitchen taps for everyone else!
8. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
- To see the desert in the southwest. But more Louise and less Thelma.
- To not take seven or eight months to answer this question.
- I don’t like this game.
9. What is one of your personal mottos or favorite sayings?
A funny one that my husband’s grandfather would say is, “You learn until your fingers are of even length.” This may not be a complete list because I don’t pay attention to the things I say.
10. Name a favorite line from a movie.
“By all means, move at a glacial pace.” – Devil Wears Prada
11. What is your favorite part of your job? What makes you excited to come into the office every day?
What’s not to like about working in a beautiful office in a gorgeous city with a ton of talented people? It’s fun to point out things that were produced by HA to people I know. My current favorite is the Alaska Airlines “Nice Clock.” poster that I’ve seen in the light rail stations. The person who came up with that one gets a gold star. (Nice Star.)