Hang onto that carcass!
Stop. Don't discard that turkey carcass. You can use it to make turkey stock, which can be used as a base for lots of delicious winter soups. Here's the basic poultry stock recipe (you can use an approximate amount of scraps instead of the whole vegetables listed):
* 4 or 5 pounds of chicken or turkey parts or meaty bones
* 1 large chopped onion
* 2 or 3 large chopped carrots
* 3 or 4 stalks celery (the leafy top parts are great for stock as well)
* 6 to 8 chopped garlic cloves
* 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
Put all your ingredients into a pot and simmer for about two hours. Periodically skim off the foam as it rises to the top of your pot. When finished cooking, strain the broth and refrigerate for a few hours. Any fat in the broth will congeal at the top and can be easily strained off. Your stock is now ready for use or for the freezer.
Enjoy your holiday meals~
recipe by Jennifer Jacobson